American University Associate Dean of Finance (66) in Washington, District Of Columbia
The Associate Dean of Finance, Strategic Planning and Administration will manage various operations (Finance, Human Resources, Faculty Support, Facilities (including Space Management), Food Service, Housekeeping and other related operations) for the Washington College of Law (WCL), a division of American University (AU), and currently oversees operational and restricted accounts in excess of $140 million. This position is involved in all aspects of financial, business and operations management of WCL and, in conjunction with the Dean and the leadership team, is responsible for the non-academic operational aspects of the school.
- This position, along with other senior administrators, reports directly to the Dean of WCL
- In addition, the following positions report directly to the Associate Dean, Finance, Strategic Planning, and Administration: Assistant Director of Business Operations, Assistant Director of Finance and Administration, Director of Facilities, and Manager of FASS; contracted Food Service and Housekeeping operations also report to this position. Indirectly, an additional 50 full and part-time staff members report to this position
- The scope of this position will change as required
- This position plans, manages and supports all financial and operational functions associated with WCL in order to support administrative and academic initiatives
- The Associate Dean of Finance, Strategic Planning and Administration leads strategic financial and operational planning for the Law school including the bi-annual budgetary process for WCL, following guidelines developed by the University administration
- This position has significant decisional authority with little direct supervision but it is expected to strategize with the Dean and others on long-term issues
- The position requires a high level of analytical and managerial skills including the ability and discretion to weigh and balance multiple short-term and long-term goals and objectives
This position is an integral role in the management of WCL given WCL’s Responsibility Management Center (RCM) status
The incumbent will lead analysis to determine the financial impact decisions may have on the WCL in current and future fiscal years
As with any leadership position, it is imperative that this position remains in appropriate contact with the Dean and senior administrators, university employees, and outside constituents at all levels and it is critical that the incumbent has the ability to communicate effectively
This position participates in a minimum of 3-5 committees within the law school and often represents WCL on campus wide issues
The Associate Dean of Finance, Strategic Planning and Administration develops and maintains positive working relationships within WCL as well as within AU
The decisions made by this position has substantial impact on WCL’s current and future operating budgets and strategic position within the industry
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
Required Education and Experience
- Master’s degree in Accounting, Business Administration, or Finance
- At least 15 years of experience in financial, operational, human resources, or business management
Preferred Education and Experience
- 7 years of experience in a University or non-profit environment
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Hiring offers for this positon are contingent on the successful completion of a background check
Current American University Employees:
If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at American University, please log into AsuccessfulUthrough the myAU portal. Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email AsuccessfulU@american.edu.
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market:Washington DC
Date: Apr 17, 2018
Location: Washington, DC, US, 20016
Company: American University